I want to contribute

I want to adopt a kitten!

If you are interested in one of these kittens or other cats and dogs please go to http://www.homewardtrails.org/ and complete the application process. Once your application is approved and you have met your future buddy you will be required to have a home visit. All adopted pets must be spayed or neutered by the age of 6 months and we have a strict NO DECLAW policy. Kittens must be adopted in pairs.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting Back to Normal - Crazy Cat Lady!

What can I say? I have become the crazy cat lady that I always giggled about. Perhaps its lack of sleep, anxiety or the natural progression of the cat foster. But folks, I am having some questionable moments. I nearly put a kitten in the fridge yesterday morning. OK, I was stressed, did not have enough time and I had to administer two injections and two oral meds to six kittens and confirm that each of the six were eating. Rushing to leave the house, cleaning up the KICU and putting the meds back in the fridge...poor Freddie nearly ended up in the egg container.




Its all good news...very good news. This morning Prince George (PG) "Peege" was hungry and lapped at my kitty milkshare concoction along with his siblings. In the picture you see Miss Maryland tending to the babies and there in the middle, the white kitten with the jaunty black cap is Peege, soaking up the love and comfort of his 5 siblings. We will continue the aggressive treatment of all kittens through this weekend and then will have quiet time (HA...who am I kidding?) as recuperation.




Those of you who have not experienced parvovirus are fortunate. It is nearly always fatal in kittens so we have beaten odds in ways most veterinarians will not believe. "This is the stuff that journal articles are written about," one vet told me. So these are super kittens for sure. I was so excited the other day talking to the vet, telling her that we had some guarded optimism that I had to pull over (I can't talk and drive in my crazy cat lady condition.) I finished the conversation and continued on my way to the grocery store when I looked down and realized that I had put my shorts on inside out! OK, no problem...except that these black yoga pants have that lovely white cotton crotch on the inside. YIKES!





A Fitting Memorial


Some of you have expressed a desire to participate in a tangible memorial to our awesome kitty angels. To that end I have asked for the Chip In goal to be increased (as we had nearly reached our previous goal.) The Chip In donations were designed to defray costs such as these...those of you with pets know how very costly any kind of veterinary care can be. Your donations will be appreciated by the organization for which I foster, Homeward Trails and, of course, by me as we work to pay off the medical care bills. Kittenpalooza will directly benefit from your kindness and Homeward Trails will make good use of the remainder funds to save other homeless pets. Another tangible memorial to our sweet kitty angels would be to make certain that all domestic pets in your care, in your communities, and in our greater shared community are vaccinated against the host of common, preventable diseases such as parvovirus that affected Kittenpalooza. Thanks...jane

19 comments:

  1. It's o.k., Jane! Heroes get special permission to be distracted whenever, however and wherever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! We're so glad to hear that everyone is doing okay! We think it's okay for you to be a little distracted - you've had so much to deal with.

    Our momma let us donate some green papers in memory of the little ones and her company does matching funds as well.

    Sending purrs from us kitties and hugs of support from our momma,

    Charlemagne and Tamar

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am another crazy cat lady who rescued a lotta cats and still have them all as they are ferals. I can completely sympahtize with your distraction. Caring for so many kittens and sick at that is a lot of work. Sending purrs and prayers for you to make it thru this with no more losses!

    Cats of Wildcat woods

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much love and many vibes heading out to all of you. I'm so sorry that so many of your babies had such a brief time here, but I'm grateful they were with you adn so dearly and clearly loved and cherished. Hugs and purrs and healing vibes to you from me and my 13 and a half.

    Carys of the 13 and a half cats

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of want to buy you a glass of wine and just hang out with you. I know how awful things have been, but the story about your yoga pants just made me crack up. A bit of laughter among the tears here. Keep up the good fight with the survivors - the kittens and mamas are lucky to have you in their corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful tribute. We're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to bother you again, but I couldn't find the ChipIn thingy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian ~ The ChipIn thingy is at the top of the page just below the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From anneboleyn:

    I just chipped in and I tried twice to leave a message on the palooza site, but got an error message each time. Please send my love and hugs to the caregiver(s), mamas and babies from me and Potter and Beatrix and Pia and Bella.
    XO Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. ROFL!! Jane, hon, you've earned the right to be frazzled. The kitten in the fridge and shorts stories just cracked me up!

    Prayers are gonna keep comin' and some green papers, too. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a shelter volunteer, I've met many foster parents for our feline friends, and I truly appreciate all that foster parents do for our cats and kittens. I'm so very to hear that you lost some of your kittens, but I'm happy to hear that the others are on the mend. I know the ones who crossed the rainbow bridge had a better life because they had someone so loving and caring helping care for them. I will certainly keep you and the wee ones in my prayers. Bless you for all that you do. :hugs: from me and :buddy bumps: and :nuzzles: from Kitze (my rescued cat!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry you had to go through all this, and I'm glad and hopeful that things seem to be looking up.

    I was wondering what the breakdown is of how many kittens each mom has left. I know they've all kind of been mixing and matching, I was just kind of hoping that neither mom was left kittenless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking such good care of those babies! What a hard and beautiful thing, to be able to help these little creatures come, and go, comfortably and peacefully. So glad they have you as their foster mom even if it might end up with them in the fridge for a while1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a dreadful ordeal you and the little souls have been through. I'm full of admiration for the tenacity you have shown in saving these kittens (and the Mums) Panleuk' just sucks and I know the heartbreak/joy rollercoaster you have been on. Hats off to you and thank you for working so hard and helping so many felines.

    Whicky Wuudler

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad to see that you've kept your sense of humour during these incredibly sad and stressful few days.

    Thank you for everything you've done and are continuing to do for these babies. You really are an angel on earth.

    Keeping my fingers crossed that these remaining babies fight off the virus and feel better really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane, I hope that everyone is fine tonight...just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and the brood...Millicent

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jan lost a whole litter of adopted kitties many years ago and it was a horrible time, so she can identify with what you are going through. It is very emotional to lose them. So we are glad these kittens are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I deeply sympathize with you. I have not seen parvovirus in kittens, but I held my roommates puppy as he died of it. It was horrible. I asked her why she didn't get him vaccinated and she said she couldn't afford it. I didn't say it, but I thought that if you can't afford the vaccinations, you can't afford the animal. I am very glad that the remaining kittens are doing well. I have to check my balance, but I will try to give a little to your chip-in.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad your remaining crew is doing better. I am so sorry you lost the little ones. You foster folks are simply amazing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete