I want to contribute

I want to adopt a kitten!

If you are interested in one of these kittens or other cats and dogs please go to http://www.homewardtrails.org/ and complete the application process. Once your application is approved and you have met your future buddy you will be required to have a home visit. All adopted pets must be spayed or neutered by the age of 6 months and we have a strict NO DECLAW policy. Kittens must be adopted in pairs.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In memorium...in celebration...

It has been an awful week. As you know from previous posts the amazing Kittenpalooza super litter has been decimated with feline distemper, panleukopenia...also referred to as parvo. Sommerset was the first to succumb, followed on Sunday by our dear sweet Annie (Anne Arrundel) and Ally (Allegheny). At that point we knew that we were dealing with parvo, we threw a Hail Mary pass and vaccinated everyone on the off chance that it would give some immunity. Monday was just horrid...we lost four more kittens. Tuesday morning the eighth kitten died. I thought my heart would simply cease to function with each passing. The most I could do was to hold the dying babies, sing to them, coo at them and encourage them to go. I have given tummy kisses to each little one on both sides of their crossing. I have bathed them with my tears.
Kittenpalooza is a super litter, but now it numbers six. Six who are, at this moment, survivors and while each has been sick to greater and lesser degrees...they all seem to have turned a corner. The super litter is now Prince George (Peege), Frederick (Freddie), Wicomico, Talbot, Cecil and Kent. Both mamas, Miss Maryland and Miss Caroline, are fighting it off as well. We think we may have our miracle and this may be the most super thing about this litter...nearly all kittens with this disease die.
Survivors

As late as Tuesday noon, we had to consider the awful step of euthanizing the litter. We agonized over what to do. Many experts, in rescue, the veterinary consultants, neighbors and friends have given advice and comfort and unwavering support. Your kind comments to my sister, Nancy's post on Sunday meant more than you can imagine. In the end we decided to treat everyone aggressively with anti-nausea medicine, subcutaneous fluids, Karo syrup, and force feeding. Perhaps it was time for them to turn the corner anyway...but we got our miracle last night with all six babies and two mamas looking so very much better. Most are eating on their own and the uncontrollable poo (my nurse mother and sister insist I call it stool...but kittens make poo!) seems to be on the down swing. Even our sickest guy, Peege, dipped his head to the water bowl and ... yes... he is going to...yes! He drank some water on his own!!! We did the HAPPY DANCE.


There are probably some hurdles left to cross, some tears left to shed, lessons yet to learn and certainly more stories to tell you all. For now, I wanted to catch you up...share the sad news and look forward, with you, to the future of these six little survivors. I am so sad to have lost so many precious babies; but, I was honored to be the human representative in the lives of Sommerset, Anne Arrundel, Allegheny, Calvert, Montgomery, Carroll, Garrett and Howard. I hope that all rescued animals will know that there are many humans waiting to be their forever friends, for as long as that forever shall be.





25 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is just heartbreaking to read. I am so, so, so sorry for your losses. We know that you have done your very best to take care of them - sometimes it just happens that they aren't supposed to have been here right now. We are sending over lots of comfort and wishes for good health for the remaining six.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what to say, except that I'm deeply sorry for your loss, and that you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, this is so sad - at least the little ones had a pleasant life while they were with you. I hope the moms are not too ill and/or sad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Losing so many babies is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry that you've all had to go through this. Fingers crossed that it's nothing but good news from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Jane, Miss Nancy, Miss Alice... my thoughts and prayers are with you and the moms and the babies. I can't imagine how difficult this has been. Please continue to take comfort in the wonderful life you have given your babes. Hug and hold Caroline, Maryland, Wicomico, Talbot, Cecil, Kent, Peege, and Freddie for us, too! We are soooo rooting for a complete recovery for them!

    Your precious ones knew your love, and I hope you can feel ours for you, even if it is from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo sorry to hear of your loss, the little angels..it's heartbreaking to hear ..I am praying as I write to St. Francis.

    Sending all the love I have to give

    AP/Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so, so sorry for your loss. I know you gave those little darlings wonderful, love-filled lives, short though they were. Scarlett, Melly, and I are sending healthy vibes to the remaining kittens and their mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! We were so hoping that three new angels would be enough. We're so very sorry that Calvert, Montgomery, Carroll, Garrett and Howard have joined Somerset, Annie and Allie. We can't imagine the heartbreak that you've endured in the last few days.

    Sending purrs of comfort and purrs for recovery for little Peege, Freddie, Wicomico, Talbot, Cecil and Kent, and Mommas Caroline and Maryland.

    Charlemagne and Tamar
    (and their human Mommy Colleen)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very, very sorry for you losses. How horrible it must be to deal with this awful illness and to watch it claim all those little sweeties. It's hard enough reading about it--I'm in tears--but I can't imagine actually living it. Bless you for all that you do.

    I like to think that all those sweet little souls are at the Rainbow Bridge, healthy, happy and absolutely adorable. Forever kittens, wrestling and playing. And I hope that your willingness to talk about what has happened will educate at least ONE person about the importance of taking good care of all of our animal friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry for all these losses. It must be heartbreaking.

    Many, many hugs and good thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. Oh no. I cannot imagine the heartbreak you have gone through. I am so sorry - tears are streaming down my face as I type. God bless you for caring for those sweet babies and please know they are now guardian angel kittens looking out after you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have our deepest sympathies. Mommy is in tears. We will send a message for our Angel Brothers and Sisters to meet the little ones at the Bridge. Godspeed.
    Love, Lounge Kats & Mommy Trish

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane, we're doing the happy dance over here, waiting with you and sincerely hoping that these six babies and their mommies will get to be geriatric kittens! (yes, kittens - Calico and Winston can attest to being called kittens at the tender age of almost 15)

    Of course everyone at Kittenpalooza is in our prayers...

    Millicent, Winston and Calico

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry for your loss... How devastating. Hoping for all the best for you, the mamas, and babies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope all the survivors pull through. You deserve a truckload of medals for all that you have done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so very sorry for your losses. You have our heartiest purrs and prayers for the mummas and bubs to fight through this, and grow in strength and health with every passing moment.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. My goodness, that is so sad ... my condolences to you and your helpers in caring for these 14 little darlings. I hope the mamas aren't horribly distraught.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry about the 8 but so happy for the 6. They're all lucky to have you. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jane-

    I have been completely out of the Kittenpalooza loop for the last two weeks and was deeply saddened to hear about the panleukopenia outbreak that hit your tribe. We've held little furballs through their last breaths, so we know what that's like, but we've never been hit with what you're experiencing. All I can say is thanks for giving the KP kittens all you've given, and I hope the survivors hold on. Hang in there, and let Martha and me know if we can help somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so sorry the little ones had to leave so soon, we know they were so very loved while they were here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My tears and my deepest and most-heartfelt condolences go out to you... You are being so strong. Don't give up hope on the rest of the babes, you are doing so much for them. I wept at the thought of you singing and cooing to them as they crossed over. You're doing an amazing job with them... it's so wonderful that they have you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. how incredibly heartbreaking.

    but such hope for the six!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a heartbreaking experience ... our thoughts continue to be with the moms and the kittens and you wonderful foster parents. You are making such a difference for these cats; it's clear. Stay strong, furry ones!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just reading this made me cry. I can't imagine the heartbreak as I think I would be hysterical in tears....and frantic. God bless you for all your devotion and persistance. I do believe that all you did aided in the survival of the others. Thank you for being there and for loving them.

    ReplyDelete